Blog Setup: 40 Practical Tips
One of our readers, Max Pool, was kind enough to send a guest post with 40 practical tips to setup and optimize your blog. All the tips are actually links to previously published articles on Daily Blog Tips. Enjoy!
- Do your homework first and read about others’ mistakes
- Choose a reliable web host
- Choose a good domain name
- If you need inspiration, check this list
- Register and keep your domain name with a registrar
- Always install WordPress in the root directory
- Update your ping list
Themes & Design
- Choose a professional theme
- Remove unnecessary information from your theme
- Add a favicon
- Place an RSS icon at the end of single posts
- Create a functional footer for your blog
- Organize your categories
- Optimize the “About” page
- Speed up your site
Check & Validate
- Make sure your blog works in different browsers
- Check the load time of your site
- Test the SEO aspects
- Validate your website
- Keep a maintenance checklist
- Install Akismet
- Install WordPress Database Backup
- Install Subscribe to Comments but leave it unchecked
- Install Chunk URLs
- Install Related Enteries and consider setting it to 3
- Install Custom Query String
- Install Jerome’s Keywords
- Install sig2feed
SEO & Analytics
- Install Google Sitemap Generator
- Install Enforce www Preference
- Optimize your Meta Description Tag
- Setup an optimal URL structure
- Make category pages display excerpts
- Setup any needed 301 Redirects
- Create a robots.txt file (and here is a collection of different ones)
- Modify your title tag to be optimal
- Remove the hyperlink from the single post titles
- Offer email subscriptions
- Install the Feedburner Replacement plugin
- Add the Google Analytics plugin and track your stats
Max Pool is a software engineer by day – aspiring SEO expert by night. More ideas can be found at his blog codesqueeze.com.
Browse all articles on the Blogging Basics category
107 Responses to “Blog Setup: 40 Practical Tips”
Thanks for the list – I’ll start working my way through them.
I am a new blogger and was looking for some useful tips. Just came here for the first time and found this blog really good one for getting useful blogtips. I will like to implement these tips in my new business bog to makeit a real success with the entire help of tips from dailyblogtips.
Thanks a lot!
Dude, Thanks! I have been needing something like WP-Chunk for months and never thought to look for a plug-in!
A wealth of information. Thank you!
This is really good tips for beginners to setting-up a new blog. A step by step process able to guide the bloggers to avoid mistake from the beginning. Excellent job!
Wow, I’ll bookmark this. Great resource. 🙂
Good and useful posts…..good step by step procedure to attain final goal..
Thanks for the step by step procedure to set up a good blog..
I know that WordPress is very popular, but is their a Typepad blog site out there that is full of great suggestions?
Thanks for this idea. When I first added these links ( I added both in my wordpress admin site and in my ecto preferences) I noticed a boost in traffic. In the last week or so, I have not seen much traffic at all. Granted I am real new to this but I’m still trying to figure out If I might be shooting myself in the foot by having these ping links in both ecto and wordpress.
Good and useful posts
Great list. Bookmarked and RSS subscribed.
Note that a few of these plugins may need to be reconsidered in light of the new WordPress version 2.3.
Like the enforce www preference. WP handles that for us now with canonical URL’s.
Also, WP now has built-in tags. SO that a whole other can of worms.
This is an excellent list of tips. Keep up the great work!
thanx for your tips
i love your blog:)
Fantastic advice. I’ve been researching blogs for about 6 weeks now and there is so much information out there it’s rather overwhelming.
If you are just starting out there is going to be a lot of trial and error.. In my case at least I was backing up and restoring all the time..
Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! ynnwxbhkmry
These lists are giving me serious bouts of deja vu, lemme tell ya.
Use these videos to be a perfect
Good tips..Most of them I al1redy followed before launching a new blog
Wow these are really great tips. I will have to come back and take more time to read them.
John T. Pratt
Great list! I wrote a Best Practices for setting up a WordPress blog post awhile back with some very similar points, but I have a bit more detail on some of them. The great thing about different posts on this subject is getting different perspectives. I always learn something new in every post!
William Profet from OneJobTwoSalaries.com
This is great. I’ve done most of the tips, but there are some I have to check.
Thank you for the list!
Very helpful article, thanx, but I have to rebuild my own blog totally 🙁
Melt du Plooy
This is a very helpful and clear list of what to do on your blog. It also helps to quickly identify what you’re not doing. Thanks Max.
gr8 list.. I had missed lots of articles from this.. 🙂
Max, great list. Seems you have been reading this blog for a long time. Good work man. Now I’ll have to bookmark and read everything once again even though I have read all these.
Yeah….your “practical tips” list mostly work for my new blog, thank your for sharing them with me.
Thanks Max, this is a very solid list
OneYearGoal.com – $100,000 online
I’ll definetely bookmark this. It’s great to have it all down in one place like that.
One Man. One Year. $100,000 online. How’s he doing it?
Comments are closed.