Blogging Idol 2: Accepting Applications (Win Over $4,000)
Update: The rules for the competition changed, so ignore this post. Instead read this one to see the current announcement.
All right guys, it is time for another Blogging Idol competition. On the first one we had over 100 competitors dueling to see who could gain more RSS subscribers in a period of four weeks. It is was fun, but I thought that perhaps we could focus on another aspect of blogging this time.
What is something that is always on the mind of bloggers and webmasters? Making money! And that is what Blogging Idol 2 is about. Competitors will need to create a brand new website for the competition, and they will have 6 weeks to make as much money as possible using Google AdSense. Every competitor will obviously keep the money he will make during this period, but the person with the highest profit figure will also win prizes worth over $4000 ($1000 of which in pure cash)!
As I mentioned before, the competition will be structured around making money with Google AdSense. The reason for going with AdSense and not with any monetization method is twofold.
First of all many people consider AdSense to be one of the best ways to make money online, so it will be nice to discover what are the most efficient strategies around for this purpose.
Secondly it will also be easier to have a fair competition. Google has very strict policies for its AdSense publishers, so they should be able to track any suspicious behavior. Secondly, I don’t think people will want to cheat in the first place given that their AdSense account might get banned as a result. Finally, we will also have a better anti-cheating control this time that will use some Adsense features.
So overall this should be a great opportunity for the competitors to prove their money making skills and strategies, and for the readers to see how they will approach the challenge, what tactics will be used and so on.
I will personally try to follow all the competitors, and I will write detailed weekly reports with the highlights, interesting strategies, curious things and so on. You don’t want to miss it!
- Competitors can send an application from today until the midnight (Greenwich time) of October 30th
- The competition will start on November 1st, and it will run until the midnight (Greenwich time) of December 15th
- Every competitor will need to create a brand new website for the competition. They can start putting content on the website only on November 1st and after(Greenwich time)
- Competitors can use a registered domain name, but there must not have been any content on that domain for the past year (else they could have an SEO advantage)
- Competitors can use available domain names and free hosted services like Blogger.com
- Each competitors can apply with only one website
- All types of author-generated content websites are allowed (i.e., blogs and mini niche websites are allowed, while forums or social networking sites are not)
- All types of promotional methods are allowed, except blackhat ones (i.e. no spamming, cheating, faking stats and so on)
- Paid promotional methods are allowed but need to be communicated to me forehand, and these expenses will be detracted from the revenues (i.e., if a blogger spends $1000 in promotion and makes $1,300 in the end, his profit will be $300)
- Competitors will need to have an AdSense account, and they will create an URL channel for the domain they intend to use. They will also need to send a weekly screenshot of their earnings (blurring the necessary fields to comply with Google’s ToS)
- Competitors will need to have Google Analytics installed to cross check their numbers if needed
- The competitors need to play under the Google AdSense program policies
- Competitors will keep to themselves all the money earned during the competition
- On December 15th, the competitor with the highest profit will be declared the winner
Send Your Application
The competition is open to anyone who is able to follow the rules mentioned above. You must have an AdSense account (or to get one before November 1st).
You can send your application via the contact form. Make sure to include your name and surname, and the domain of the website that you will be competing with.
I am looking forward to seeing you guys making some killer money!
Browse all articles on the Blog Projects category
38 Responses to “Blogging Idol 2: Accepting Applications (Win Over $4,000)”
@Gary, you said:
“Donâ€™t be surprised if the winner ends up having a blog about credit card debt or asbestos cancer.”
As long as the winner has a blog, it is still blogging 🙂 .
The Net Fool
Cool second round Daniel! I really like this a lot more than RSS subscribers, as the idol should be someone that can have something tangible to show for their efforts, eh? Best of luck to everyone that is participating in the second Blogging Idol!
This should be called “SEO Idol” or “MMO Idol” because that is all it is going to end up being. The winner will have some very narrow niche with few readers all designed around high paying adsense keywords. Don’t be surprised if the winner ends up having a blog about credit card debt or asbestos cancer.
This really isn’t “blogging”.
I have a question in my mind and it goes like this:
Can we(I) who are in the competition of course put our blog on page and customize it so it is all prepared for lunch on November 1st. But there will be no content on the blog.
I’m in for sure. I HOPE I WIN!
Looks to be a good contest.
Lets see the winner 🙂
I have new blog starting up, I wasn’t going to use AdSense, but I think I could use it for this contest for the first 1.5 month.
Anyway, I have couple weeks to think and maybe prepare for it.
btw. Should the 2. get some prize?
Sounds fun. This should be an interesting experiment in what truly works when launching a site. It should also play in nicely to which niche’s are most profitable.
This competition sounds a bit tougher than the first, too bad I won’t be able to join, I’ve already got enough on my hands at the moment 🙁
@People who asked questions:
“Can we add multiply channels for Blogging Idol for our own tracking?”
You can always track the single units inside the same channel, so I don’t think you would need to.
“One more thing, arenâ€™t screen shoots easy to fake?”
Yes but we will have a more strict process to verify the winner.
“What is an acceptable parking/construction page for the blogs between now and 11/1? Waiting until 11/1 to change DNS settings can take a couple of days to propagate.”
You can point the DNS to the site already, and just wait Nov 1st to upload the content.
“Can some of the content on the new blog be duplicated from another existing blog? I realize that this may not be recommended by some SEO experts, but I just wanted to clarify since I do have a couple of exiting posts that I would like duplicate on this new blog.”
If you own those posts yes you can duplicate them if you want. Shouldn’t affect the overall thing as it will be hard to rank with the dupes.
“We know that Adsense Channel is depending on the codes.. What if the sames code was injected in different site. It will still show earnings for that channel.. I suggest that the Google Adsense should be back up with Google Analytics just to counter check the pageviews and Number of Pages that the ads appear”
Yes we might require Google Analytics to cross check numbers.
“It would be alot more reliable to use â€œURL channelsâ€ in AdSense.”
Correct, URL channels will be used.
“As for the tracking part, I thought URL channels are automatically populated on impressions/clicks. Is it possible to manipulate it with code as well???”
I think you can still try some tricks with that, but we will have many cross check features in place.
I am in this time… Forgot to enter on time for the first episode…
As for the tracking part, I thought URL channels are automatically populated on impressions/clicks. Is it possible to manipulate it with code as well???
I have to agree on Dexter…
It would be alot more reliable to use “URL channels” in AdSense.
Im not so happy to give access to my analytics, although it might be good that the winner (candidate) will be required to. That way every1 wouldn’t need to share their statistics, but it would still keep the competition honest.
Allthough every1 might not be using Google Analytics.
Also TheOzz has good questions, on subjects that also I want to know more about.
Dexter | Tech At Hand Dot Net
Hello Just made a post regarding the contest
Dexter | Tech At Hand Dot Net
I Think giving access to Daniel for the Google Analytics can say that the screen shot are not fake. What do you think
Dexter | Tech At Hand Dot Net
We know that Adsense Channel is depending on the codes.. What if the sames code was injected in different site. It will still show earnings for that channel.. I suggest that the Google Adsense should be back up with Google Analytics just to counter check the pageviews and Number of Pages that the ads appear 🙂
Just a suggestion
Too big for me so I am not participating.
Good luck to everyone and I hope to learn a lot of AdSense tips and tricks while you are at it. 🙂
I wish you all the best Daniel! But I foresee, that you might not get the same response as what you received in Idol-1. There are many practical difficulties with this contest.
A couple of questions:
1. What is an acceptable parking/construction page for the blogs between now and 11/1? Waiting until 11/1 to change DNS settings can take a couple of days to propagate.
2. Can some of the content on the new blog be duplicated from another existing blog? I realize that this may not be recommended by some SEO experts, but I just wanted to clarify since I do have a couple of exiting posts that I would like duplicate on this new blog.
I’m sure this will liven up the blog-o-sphere in the month of november and everyone will be talking about it. I cannot enter as I will be on my honeymoon with my hot and sexy wife. But maybe blogging idol 3 I will enter…even if I don’t win (because you are up against the big guns) then at least it will be a bit of fun
One more thing, aren’t screen shoots easy to fake?
I’m soooo in! That would be my little project with “tutorial niche” I always wanted to do.
Prizes are huge but to bad that only 1st one gets all.
Can we add multiply channels for Blogging Idol for our own tracking?
I know that this is a competition – and an exercise to see the best way to utilise Google adsense but…
I wonder whether Aseem Kishore is joining the competition…lol.
A few months back on DBT in the post (August 2008) “When Is The Best Time To Start A New Blog?” it seemed pretty clear that he thought it a silly idea starting a new blog instead of making your first blog better – or even great.
Here’s some quotes from the post:
– My point is that if I am not matching other sites in my current niche, why the heck am I going to start a new site?
– it would be well worth continuing to work on the current blog than trying to start up a new one and becoming even more frustrated and time-consumed
– but from my own experience there are a few general guidelines I personally measure myself up against before thinking about starting a new blog
– It is hard enough maintaining one blog, let alone 2, 3, 4 or more at once.
– My opinion is that until your first blog reaches a certain level or status, you should hold off on creating a second blog.
Just some thoughts 😉
Money Making Ideas ~ Suzanne
This is soooo exciting!
I am “ALL IN” and ready for a great competition. Just like the last contest … if you give it a shot … there are no losers. If you make a single dime in profit … you have already “won” right?
Good luck and may the best man … errr … contestant … win! *SmiLes* Suzanne
Looks like a great competition. I’ll be watching from the rail and cheering the competitors on!!
Will follow the contest
cos I pretty much suck at earning
@UnnownAdmin, oh yeah I had forgotten that. Will change that sentence now.
Yea, I can understand that.
Just a little note in that case, the blogs can’t be hosted on wordpress.com, because they don’t allow AdSense ads by bloggers.
@SEO Genius and UnknownAdmin,
“One question is how will you be notifying us each week of the current leader and a league or will there not be one?”
Competitors will need to send weekly screenshots, and yeah I will keep track of the Top 10 guys.
“If there is or if you inform readers and competitors of other entries websites I can assure you some will sabotage there sites by continualy clicking there adverts. This is something no one wants but I know it will happen because its happened to me before.”
Usually Google is very efficient in detecting those fraud attempts. They identify the IPs or group or IPs related, and discount the clicks.
If competitors prefer, however, I could not disclose who are the leading websites, and only reveal the numbers in the end, so no one will have an incentive to try to sabotage a specific site.
“Does all income need to come from AdSense?”
Only AdSense income will be counted yes. This is because it would be easier to cheat if other sources were also allowed.
Does all income need to come from AdSense? o.0
Great can’t wait for this Daniel sounds like its going to be another interesting competition. Bit gutted I cant use my current website in the competition though I was hoping to be a little more motivated through this competition but nevermind.
I shall have to start a new website as well must think of a niche to use.
One question is how will you be notifying us each week of the current leader and a league or will there not be one?
If there is or if you inform readers and competitors of other entries websites I can assure you some will sabotage there sites by continualy clicking there adverts. This is something no one wants but I know it will happen because its happened to me before.
Just something to think about we don’t want everyones Google Accounts being suspended now.
Comments are closed.